December 18, 2007

Fully Alive

The other morning I ran errand and did something I have not done in a long time- put in a favorite CD and drove down 94 with the music as loud as I could take it, taking in each lyric and feeling like each song was written for me. One of the songs that came on has a line in it that I just love: “The glory of God is man fully alive.”

Think about that. God is glorified when we are fully alive. Alive in the sense that we are not burdened with the troubles of this world- big and small; we are not living in guilt or staying angry; we are not enslaved to lies, food, work, etc. But alive in that we are free of anger and extend forgiveness; free of guilt and ask for forgiveness; free of the pursuit of things like fast cars, big houses, and designer clothes to make us happy; free of only thinking of ourselves, but rather seeking to serve others; free of wanting, but rather being content with what we have.

I am glad to be alive. I am thankful that I just now got to take a breath…oh, and there’s another one! I do take my days for granted, but today I am so aware of what a gift it is to be alive.

No comments: