Fed up with being a slave to whatever grocer's elect to sotck on their shelves, I set forth to make my own granola and while it may not be to everyone's taste, it is good and wholesome- simply the best granola I can give to my guy.
Here's what I do:
- Pour 8 cups of whole oats (not "quick oats") in a large pan and heat them up over medium heat
- Once you begin to smell the aroma of toasty oats, add flax seed (whole or ground), cinnamon, and pecans or walnut pieces (or any nut you prefer- or no nuts!)- I add however much looks good and never use measurements
- Stir well and after a few minutes begin to drizzle honey over the oats- keep adding honey and stirring the oats until it appears that most have gotten some honey on them
- Place the oats in a large cake pan or anything that can go in an oven and bake for about 25 minutes (or until the mixture begins to brown) at 350 degrees
- Stir the oats half-way through the baking time and take out to cool once done
- Add raisins once the oats have cooled off a bit and store granola in an air-tight container- this will keep for several weeks, especially if you refrigerate it
See how easy that is! Of course, you can always modify a simple recipe like this.....but be sure to tell me if you do because I might want to copy you!