September 14, 2012

GOD Truth #3: HE Is Sovereign Over All Things

This is part three of a seven series post that was born out of some very intentional time I took to walk the road of grief and longing, and sit in the place of despair and doubt. And I asked JESUS to meet me in my very broken place and to show me HIS goodness.

And HE did. Over and over HE did. And the more I looked for ways that HE is good, the more I found.

I call the things I learned about GOD in that season my GOD Truths. These are the very true things that GOD does and is to all of HIS children.

I know that my journey is meant to open the eyes, ears, and hearts of others to who GOD is. To draw them closer to their MAKER. To tell of HIS love for HIS people and HIS goodness throughout all the ages.




In the midst of the physical process of losing our third baby, I went to see our counselor, Roger.  And at some point in the hour we were together the thought came to me that perhaps I had exited out of the realm of GOD’s protection and therefore, HIS sovereignty over my body and my baby.  

But Roger assured me over and over that GOD was indeed very much in control of what was happening and that though sad and grievous, losing a third baby was a part of HIS plan for my life.

Relief washed over me and I was glad for the gentle reminder that pointed me back to the truth that GOD is sovereign over all things, including my suffering.

JESUS spoke of the will of GOD in the Garden of Gethsemane when HE was praying. HE said, in Matthew 26:39, “MY FATHER, if it be possible, let this cup pass from ME; nevertheless, not as I will, but as YOU will.” 

The will of GOD is HIS sovereign governance of all that happens in our lives.  It cannot be broken.  It will always. always comes to pass. 

Daniel 4:35 says, “HE does according to HIS will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay HIS hand or say to HIM, ‘What have YOU done?’ ” 

GOD governs all things for HIS plans and purposes.  Nothing is out of HIS realm of power or protection.  Whatever befalls you- sickness, infertility, unemployment, and a broken heart included- it’s all under HIS authority and power.

You were created for HIS glory and HE is faithful to fulfill that glory if you love HIM and live for HIM.  Your suffering is not a surprise, but a plan.  Trust that HE is working for your good in all things at all times.

George Mueller was an evangelist who lived in the 19th century and he lost his beloved wife Mary after 39 years of marriage.  By only the strength of GOD, he was able to speak at his wife’s memorial and said this:

“I miss her in numberless ways, and shall miss her yet more and more. But as a child of GOD, and as a servant of the LORD JESUS, I bow, I am satisfied with the will of my Heavenly FATHER, I seek by perfect submission to HIS holy will to glorify HIM, I kiss continually the hand that has thus afflicted me.”

Oh, that we would rest in the sovereignty of GOD just as our brother George Mueller had done.

No comments: