October 22, 2010

Beautiful Things

Last night my dear friend, Melissa, gave me two pots filled with dirt. And in those pots are the promises of something beautiful. She planted winter bulbs for me.  Now I have something to look forward to in the upcoming months: something beautiful growing out of what looks to be dark and barren dirt.

At church we sing this song that more and more it is hitting me at the very core of my heart and what I long for; what I need; and what I am clinging to.

We all need to hear that beautiful things come out of the dust. Beautiful things come out of loss. Out of sickness. Out of pain.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, is out of the realm of GOD and HIS ability to make beautiful things happen and come out of what we only see as dust.

And I know this, and I feel this, and I believe this even in the midst of where HE has me now.

Even in the dark I see the LIGHT. Even in the void I feel the FILL. Even in the sorrow I feel the HOPE.

It’s nothing foolish I have made up in my own mind. It’s there in HIS word, in HIS very promise to me as HIS daughter.

At the end of Melissa’s beautiful letter she penned these words:
“So I planted these for you. Give them a little water- just enough to keep the soil damp. And give them space. And quiet. There’s something beautiful at work in those dark places.”

To all who mourn in Israel, HE will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for HIS own glory. Isaiah 61:3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would you dare, would you dare to believe.
That you still have a reason to sing
That the pain that you've been feeling
It can't compare to the joy that's coming
So hold on, you gotta wait for the light
Press on and just fight the good fight
"Cause the pain that you've been feeling
It's just the dark before the morning.