May 8, 2008

Familial Scent

You know how you are suddenly taken back to a time or place or immediately think of someone you know when you smell something in the air? I love that feeling- it's warm and cozy and makes me feel grounded and attached to the people and places I love.

This afternoon as I prepped for my daily walk, I slipped a light and sheer scarf around my neck (even though it's May, it's still chilly here!) and whoof!, there was a lovely scent that wisked pass my nose. It reminded me of my grandma, or Meme (pronounced May-may; a French term for "Grandma"), as Simple Guy likes to call her. The smell was of my own perfume, but today it smelled just like my grandma as she ushers out of her bedroom looking all fabulous and put together and smelling lovely.

I could just see her in her dark, skinny jeans, patent heels, and a cotton V-neck shirt, topped off with an eye-catching necklace, earrings, and a bracelet or watch. She'll stand in the middle of the kitchen and we all will admire her chic ability to put things together and then sheepishly look at ourselves and feel a bit underdressed.

And then I'll go over and give her a squeeze and tell her how great she looks, she'll plant a red lipstick kiss on my cheek and I'll be engulfed in her lovely scent. When I pull back, she'll have a crooked smile on her face and then will give me a sassy wink.

I wish you all could meet and see my grandma.....she is, in my opinion, the Eighth Wonder of the World!

We love you, Grandma!

Grandma reading her birthday card from Lauren and Eric (her great-grandchildren) - note her hip shades and halter-style dress


Grandma and Me

3 comments:

betty said...

You certainly described "Meme" perfectly! One would have to meet her to understand how very unique she is (and that is putting it mildly!)
We are blessed!
Love, Mom

betty said...

You certainly described "Meme" perfectly! One would have to meet her to understand how very unique she is (and that is putting it mildly!)
We are blessed!
Love, Mom

betty said...

Why did my remark get posted twice??? Weird.