November 27, 2007

Living a Life by Faith

“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Hebrews 11:1

This past Sunday, our pastor taught on Hebrews 11 and it has really got me thinking. In case you are not familiar, Hebrews 11 writes about the faith of men and women who became examples of living out the kind of faith spoken of in the verse above.

Noah built an ark because by faith He believed it when God told him there would be a great flood. Can you imagine spending years of your life building a gigantic floating vessel while others scoffed and declared you insane? But Noah’s faith compelled him to do what others thought illogical and a waste of time and because of his obedience to the Lord, he and his family (and not to mention a few animals) were saved from perishing in the flood. He had faith.

Moses was found floating in a river by the Pharaoh’s daughter when he was a baby. He grew up a privileged child with the best of everything because he was raised in the Pharaoh’s palace. Essentially, he was the Pharaoh’s kin and because of that, he was entitled to all the privileges that being with the Pharaoh of Egypt afforded. But one day Moses saw a man being beaten by what can be assumed to be a palace guard. Instead of turning away, Moses chose to leave the comforts of the palace and live amongst the people of God- what were to become his people. He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God. Little did he know that one day he would lead those people out of Egypt to get away from their oppressors. He had faith.

There are more examples of great faith in Jacob, Isaac, Abraham, and even in a prostitute, Rahab. But what about me? Could I ever fall on to this list of those who led lives ruled by their faith in God?

“All these people were still living by faith when they died, they did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth” Hebrews 11:13

I try to remind myself of this every now and then. I try to get myself to a place in my head that comprehends that this life I have now is not fully what God has for me. My life now cannot compare to what God has for me when I am with Him. My identity is not a married, white, female who is a citizen of the United States of America. My hope is not in my marital status or citizenship; my hope is in Christ who died for me.

It is by faith that I live here on earth, believing that God sent His only Son for me so that one day I may have eternity with Him. Of this I am sure. This is where I put my faith.

But what counts now is how I live out my life of faith….this is what has me thinking.

No comments: