October 30, 2008

Healing

Healing. I love that word. It makes me feel lighter and stronger. It makes me remember that there is a God and that He longs for us to be made whole in Him and that He is, and always will be, the ultimate Healer.

I don't know a single person who has not had to heal from something in their life. We may not all look alike, act alike, eat the same things, or vote the same way, but we all have the sweet comfort that is healing in common.

I once had a broken heart. Before Simple Guy and I began dating, I had dated someone else a few years before. I loved this person, or at least I thought I did. I could not see my life without this person. He was, for a period of time in my life, everything to me.

Then one day he told me we needed to break up and I was beyond devestated. I was crushed. I was breathless. I was hurt to the point of physical pain taking over my entire body. I slipped into a deep depression for almost a year after we broke up.

Even as I type this, I can feel small pings of pain in my heart, not because I long for this person (Simple Guy is my one and only for forever!) but because that experience turned me into a ball of hurt and I ache for that younger self; she was hopeless and ten months of her life were spent just trying to find a little relief from the pain.

I needed friends or family to tell me they love me, and they did. I needed my counselor to walk with me through those dark valleys and reassure me that the valleys are not what destroy you, it's never climbing out of them that does, and he did. I needed space to reflect and try to figure out what the source of this pain was, and I did.

I needed relief. I needed hope. I needed healing. And I got it all from my Deliverer and my Healer.

Something indescribable happens when healing sets in. It's funny how you don't realize it when it is happening, but healing has a way of creeping into all the nooks of your heart and then one day you are reliving your story with someone and after you tell it the sting of pain is no longer there, but maybe just a dull ache. And further down the road, the dull ache may subside all together and all that remains are bandages of healing.

I don't know about you, but I could use a little more healing in my life. I know a few people right now who could use it, too. Maybe you need some healing as well. I know where you can find it.

"Think of it- the Lord is ready to heal me"
Isaiah 38:20

No comments: